Welcome!

Anyone who knows me and just wants to follow more closely than facebook...or anyone who teaches and just wants to get inside of someone else's life and classroom...or anyone who might be inspired to change their (and yes, I can use this pronoun to mean his or her...look it up) life, might enjoy my blog. By the way, I like to use ... it mimics real conversational space and gives the reader time to digest...see?

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Vacation

All teachers need vacation. Sometimes we have to force ourselves to take them and stop moving because our minds are always racing with thoughts and ideas for our students and classrooms. I force myself to slow down by visiting family. It reconnects me and I still get to fulfill my altruistic desires. It is also cheap...important for teachers. If I could afford it, would I take a vacation on a luxury river-cruise in Europe, or at a beach resort in Baja? Probably not. I love my family too much, and I can only handle so much down time. With my family, I am not a teacher or a conductor. I am just me, and therefore, I am on vacation.

This vacation I chose to spend in Australia visiting my aunt and uncle. I haven't been in almost 20 years, and it feels great. It is winter here, so there is little motivation to be out and about swimming and sight-seeing. My teacher-friend and I are happy in front of the woodstove with our laptops, watching bad TV and eating too much icecream. I have time and yummy ingredients to cook so everyone has enjoyed my lasagna, cheesecake, scones, leg of lamb and various breakfast eggs. Australia is full of fresh foods and even the packaged foods are delicious.

I am still planning, of course. I am writing this blog about being a teacher, and I am trying to learn the computer program for writing marching band drill that I bought. My friend has not stopped planning and working this entire time. She has been ordering things, calling school personnel, and even writing lesson plans. So much for two teachers on vacation. We go halfway around the world, but modern technology does not allow us to pull the plug on our constant desire to improve each year for our students.

No comments:

Post a Comment