Welcome!

Anyone who knows me and just wants to follow more closely than facebook...or anyone who teaches and just wants to get inside of someone else's life and classroom...or anyone who might be inspired to change their (and yes, I can use this pronoun to mean his or her...look it up) life, might enjoy my blog. By the way, I like to use ... it mimics real conversational space and gives the reader time to digest...see?

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Band Camp

This one time...at band camp...

Yes, August has brought the inevitable...Band Camp. Because our school used to be on three tracks, year round, this is a new idea...well, hasn't been around for at least 15 years. Last year, we only had 7 people, so we used the whole week to recruit as students came on campus to register for the new traditional school schedules. This year, I started the summer with a roster of 32. Seven showed up for camp this Monday and have continued to come every day. We have only added three more for a total of 10. I nearly cried. We had called everyone several times and 17 had confirmed with at least 5 maybes.

Tet moment of truth for me was Monday morning for about 5 minutes. The students were outside, it was supposed to get up into the 100s every day this week, and I had a choice to make. Do I spend 40 unpaid hours teaching 7 students? When I wasn't on contract? Or do I cancel it and wait for school to start, when the rest of the students would show up? I really thought hard. But I knew the answer. I had 7 teenagers in front of me who loved music, had nothing else to do, and needed to be taught. As always, I realized it was my privilege to teach them, and that the results would only make things easier on me when school began. I took a deep breath, let it go, smiled and walked outside to do my job.

"Welcome to Band Camp 2010! Let's go to the field."

No comments:

Post a Comment